I don’t intend to brag or boast, but when I eat French toast, I feel international. Mike D.
French toast is one of those dishes that can be prepared in a variety of ways while yet preserving the essence of French toast. A basic French toast may include so many different components. The one thing they all have in common is bread.
The fundamental component in French toast is bread, and the majority of the additives are to make the bread taste better, saltier, or sweeter. But what if you want French toast but want to avoid the additional carbohydrates included in bread?
Is it really feasible to have French toast without the use of bread? If that’s the case, how can you create French toast without bread?
To create French toast without bread, use another item in its stead. Our main dish will include oats. Because oatmeal is more granular than bread and cannot keep itself together, the finished product may not look exactly like bread-based French toast.
We’ll also demonstrate how to prepare breadless French toast using just eggs. To make things even more interesting, we’ll teach you how to substitute cauliflower or eggplant for bread!
- How to Make French Toast Without Bread? (The Oatmeal Classic)
- How to Make French Toast Without Bread or Oatmeal (Sweet Omelet Recipe)
- How to Make French Toast With Cauliflower
- How to Make French Toast With Eggplant
- Final Thoughts
- What else can you put in French toast?
- What is the most common mistake in making French toast?
- How do you get French toast not to be soggy?
- What is a good sweet thing to put on toast?
- What are 3 other names French toast goes by?
- Why is French toast unhealthy?
- Is it better to use milk or half and half for French toast?
- Should French toast have more eggs or milk?
How to Make French Toast Without Bread? (The Oatmeal Classic)
As we just mentioned earlier, oatmeal will be the heart of your French toast and it will replace the high-carb of bread with a healthy (yet tasty) substitute. If you haven’t already guessed, a French toast without bread is an excellent vegan morning choice.
Before we proceed any further, it’s worth checking out the original traditional French toast recipe. This will help you comprehend the difference between the cooking techniques we are going to demonstrate.
We won’t go into detail about the original recipe since you’re probably already acquainted with it. Let’s get started with the ingredients for our breadless French toast recipe.
Breadless French Toast Ingredients
You will need two sets of components. The first pair is for the French toast’s body, while the second set is for the custard.
Ingredients of the French Toast Body
- 1 cup rolled oats (4.7 ounces rolled oats)
- teaspoon of pink salt
- 2 cups of water (18 ounces of water)
Ingredients of the Custard
- teaspoon of vanilla extract
- cup of canned coconut milk (4 ounces of milk)
- teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- cups of ground nutmeg (1 ounce of ground nutmeg)
- 4 tablespoons of chickpea flour
Breadless French Toast Recipe
We’ll make our breadless French toast in two stages. We begin by making the oatmeal.
Cooking the Oatmeal
- In a cooking saucepan, combine the rolled oats, water, and pink salt.
- Mix the ingredients together using a large spoon
- Warm the mixture until the water begins to boil.
- When the mixture begins to boil, lower the heat slightly to allow it to simmer. Simmering means maintaining the temperature just below boiling.
- Continue to simmer until the oats have absorbed all of the water in the cooking pot. This should only take around 5 minutes.
- Bring a small baking pan to the table and line it with parchment paper.
- Spread the cooked oats on the parchment paper and spread it out evenly with a spoon.
- Place your baking tray in the fridge overnight. You may take it out after at least 2 hours if you don’t want to wait that long.
Tips to Keep In Mind While Cooking the Oatmeal
- The oats should absorb all of the water in the saucepan. If there is still any leftover water after 5 minutes, you have used too much water.
- The oats should have an al dente quality in terms of consistency. This implies that your oats should not be completely limp. The oats should be somewhat solid at this point.
- Make careful to distribute the cooked oats in the cooking pot to a thickness of half an inch. That is about how thick toast should be.
- Check to see whether your oats has been in the fridge long enough before you begin creating your custard. You don’t want to create the custard and then wait for the oats to finish.
- Stir your custard ingredients together until the mixture is homogenous.
- Fill a small dish halfway with the mixture. It is now complete.
Cooking the Breadless French Toast
- Remove your oats from the refrigerator and cut it into even squares.
- When the oatmeal pieces are solid enough to be removed from the baking dish without coming apart, remove them and set them into the custard mixture.
- Flip the oats pieces in the custard and make sure they’re well coated.
- At this point, all that remains is to cook your oatmeal French toast pieces. Since we’re becoming vegan, we’ll cook our porridge in vegan butter.
- To get the golden texture of traditional French toast, cook it for 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the golden French toast from the pan and lay it on a baking sheet.
- Bake your French toast for 10 minutes at 375°F. This step will ensure that your French toast is extremely crispy.
- Your low-carb, breadless French toast is now ready to eat.
This dish for breadless French toast has 77 calories and 11 grams of carbs.
How to Make French Toast Without Bread or Oatmeal (Sweet Omelet Recipe)
What if you didn’t want to eat your French toast with bread or anything like bread? What if you didn’t want to wait for the oats to come out of the refrigerator?
A sweet omelet is another low-carb choice for you!
Another breadless French toast alternative that isn’t vegan since it includes eggs is sweet omelet. It is, however, still relatively low in carbohydrates.
From start to finish, this dish should take around 15 minutes. It’s ideal if you need a quick nutritious breakfast.
- 3 large eggs or 4 small eggs
- cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour (gluten-free flour may be used if desired)
Cooking the Sweet Omelet
- In a medium-sized mixing basin, crack open your eggs. Combine the eggs, milk, sugar, and flour in a mixing bowl.
- Stir for 30-60 seconds, or until the mixture is homogenous.
- Bring a frying pan to the stove and coat it with coconut oil or vegan butter. You may use regular oil if you like, but we’re presuming you’re going for healthier choices.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and distribute it evenly over the surface, then cover it with a lid.
- Cook the mixture for 7 minutes on medium or 10 minutes on low heat. If you know how to make an omelet, you’ll be able to tell when it’s done without using a timer.
- When the omelet is done, remove the cover and lay it on a big platter. It’s ready to eat with whichever toppings you like.
This dish for breadless French toast has 189 calories and 12 grams of carbs.
How to Make French Toast With Cauliflower
What exactly is going on here?! A cauliflower French toast? Yes, you read it correctly. What you’ll need is as follows:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- cup of cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg or 2 small eggs
- tablespoon of salt
Cooking the Breadless Cauliflower French Toast
- To save time, start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Now, cut the cauliflower head into tiny enough pieces to fit into a food processor.
- Grind the chopped cauliflower until it resembles rice in consistency.
- Bring a medium-sized bowl to the table and break your egg open within. Stir until the egg yolk becomes a uniform yellow liquid.
- Stir in the salt and cheddar cheese for a further 30 seconds.
- Pour in the processed cauliflower and stir slowly and carefully. The mixture will be quite thick and difficult to stir, but keep stirring until it is well combined.
- The mixture should be thick enough to be handled with a spoon. Make 6 equal portions of the mixture.
- Make each dish of French toast into a recognizable square form with your hands. You may mold them into whatever form you choose, but the thickness should be between and of an inch.
- Place your servings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven.
- Bake until the French toast reaches the traditional golden brown texture. This should take you between 510 minutes.
- Remove your French toast from the oven and top with your favorite toppings.
How to Make French Toast With Eggplant
We’ll round up our list with another surprise bread substitute: eggplant! Let’s go straight to the components.
- 1 eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- tablespoon of vanilla extract
- tablespoon of cinnamon
- Unrefined salt for sprinkling
Cooking the Breadless Eggplant French Toast
Eggplant has a strong taste that may be overpowering if not removed before cooking. To learn how to make eggplant French toast, follow these steps:
- Peel the eggplant and cut it into slices about an inch thick.
- Place the slices on a sieve or strainer and season with salt.
- Set aside for 30 minutes, or until they exude a brownish liquid. Later on, the leaking liquid will lessen the harsh flavor of the eggplant.
- After 30 minutes, rinse and gently dry the eggplant slices with a clean towel or paper towels.
- Now, in a medium-sized mixing basin, break open your two eggs and whisk them well.
- Whisk in the cinnamon, vanilla extract, and milk sections until the mixture is homogenous.
- To improve absorption, pierce the eggplant slices with a fork.
- Now, immerse the eggplant slices in the mixture until they are completely saturated.
- Cook your egg-covered eggplant slices in a frying pan.
- Again, you may use regular oil if you choose, but olive oil or vegan butter are suggested to keep the healthy theme continuing.
Is French toast a nutritious meal?
Traditional bread-based French toast is a high-nutritional-value meal. It does, however, contain a large quantity of saturated fat and may cause you to gain weight rapidly. Breadless French toast dishes are thought to be a healthier option since they include less carbohydrates and fats.
Is there a vegan French toast?
French toast made with oats, water, and salt is completely vegan. However, you should avoid using full-cream milk or eggs while creating the custard. Substitute coconut milk, vanilla essence, and ground cinnamon for these components.
Can I eat French toast every day?
It is not advisable to consume the same sort of food every day, and French toast is no exception. You’ll either over-supply your body with a nutrient or deprive it of one. Furthermore, if you’re not careful, even vegan French toast may easily add up in terms of carbohydrates.
So, that’s how you make French toast without bread. Eggs, oats, cauliflower, or eggplant may all be substituted.
The core of French toast stays unchanged. You make bread (or any of the substitutions) and then fry it in a mixture.
The combination is what determines the flavor and character of your final product. If you want to make an all-vegan French toast, use our oatmeal recipe. We even used coconut milk instead of milk.
If you are not a vegan but want to reduce your carb intake, try our eggplant and cauliflower dishes.
Try our sweet omelet recipe if you want something a little sweeter. You’ll like it.
What else can you put in French toast?
Of course, syrup is a simple and delicious addition to your French toast! I like traditional maple syrup, although there are many more varieties available. Chocolate, caramel, buttermilk, and lemon curd are all excellent choices. If you’re looking for a healthy option, honey is the way to go!
What is the most common mistake in making French toast?
The Top 7 French Toast Cooking Mistakes
Excessive dairy and sugar in the custard. Don’t overdo it on the dairy.
The custard was not fully mixed.
Choosing the wrong bread.
Bread that has not been properly soaked.
Using too much or not enough heat.
The pan was not preheated.
Using just butter.
How do you get French toast not to be soggy?
How do you prevent soggy French toast? To avoid soggy French toast, gently toast the bread before soaking it in the custard and don’t soak it for too long.
What is a good sweet thing to put on toast?
These are some of my favorite cinnamon toast toppings and combos.
Whipped cream (my personal fave)
Second favorite: whipped cream cheese
Fruits (strawberries are my favorite!)
A tall glass of milk.
Tea or coffee?
What are 3 other names French toast goes by?
“Eggy bread,” “Bombay toast,” “gypsy toast,” and “poor knights” (of Windsor) are among other names and adaptations.
Why is French toast unhealthy?
Although it is heavy in carbohydrates, you can make French toast healthier by choosing whole wheat or high-fiber bread. You may also make your French toast healthier by varying the toppings you use. Fresh fruit or jam may be used in place of high-sugar toppings like pancake syrup and confectioner’s sugar.
Is it better to use milk or half and half for French toast?
A richer custard may be made using half-and-half or cream rather than whole or skim milk. Nondairy milks such as almond and coconut may also be used. Take it a step further by adding vanilla essence, cinnamon, or cardamom to your basic milk-and-egg custard; sweeten it with sugar or syrup, or even add juice or alcohol to the mix.
Should French toast have more eggs or milk?
4 cup milk and one egg per two-slice serving—use just the yolks of some or all of the eggs to prevent the “scrambled” flavour.A good starting point is 1